Direct resin bonding - acid etching
Direct resin - acid etching
Rodrigo R. Maia, DDS, PhD
Acid etching is a clinical adhesive protocol involving the use of phosphoric acid. Occlusal grooves and fissures are cleaned with air abrasion and a 2% chlorhexidine solution, rinsed, and lightly air dried. 37.5% phosphoric acid is then spread evenly over the desired surface, and left to sit for 15 seconds. The area is then rinsed for 5 seconds and gently air thinned for 5 seconds. A wear-resistant, radiopaque resin-based composite is used to replace the tooth structure and any grooves or fissures adjacent to the preparation, and a sealant is then placed into any remaining pits or fissures.
*Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Iowa School of Dentistry, Iowa City, IA.
This video demonstrates the techniques and practices for the use of acid etching. Upon completion of this video, the viewer should:
- Come to an understanding of what acid etching is and how the process works.
- Realize appropriate times to impliment this technique.
- Sasa I, Donly KJ. Sealants: a review of the materials and utilization. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2010 Oct;38(10):730-4.
- Akyıl MS, Yılmaz A, Bayındır F, Duymuş ZY. Microtensile Bond Strength of Resin Cement to a Feldspathic Ceramic. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Dec 18.
- Choi S, Cheong Y, Lee GJ, Park HK. Effect of fluoride pretreatment on primary and permanent tooth surfaces by acid-etching. Scanning. 2010 Dec 6.
- Fron H, Vergnes JN, Moussally C, Cazier S, Simon AL, Chieze JB, Savard G, Tirlet G, Attal JP. Effectiveness of a new one-step self-etch adhesive in the restoration of non-carious cervical lesions: 2-Year results of a randomized controlled practice-based study. Dent Mater. 2010 Nov 29.
- Pashley DH, Tay FR, Breschi L, Tjäderhane L, Carvalho RM, Carrilho M, Tezvergil-Mutluay A. State of the art etch-and-rinse adhesives. Dent Mater. 2010 Nov 26.
- Fowler AC, Ward JA, O'Brien SB. A simple model for multicomponent etching. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2011 Feb 1;354(1):421-3. Epub 2010 Nov 2.
- Gamal AY, Kumper RM, Sadek HS, El Destawy MT. Chlorhexidine Controlled Release Profile Following Ethylene Diamine Tetraacetic Acid Root Surface Etching- An in Vivo Study. J Periodontol. 2010 Nov 23.
- Brauchli L, Muscillo T, Steineck M, Wichelhaus A. Influence of enamel conditioning on the shear bond strength of different adhesives. J Orofac Orthop. 2010 Nov;71(6):411-20. Epub 2010 Nov 17.